Sunday, March 16, 2014

Tasting- Valerie Hill Chardonnay (American Oak)


Name: Valerie Hill Chardonnay from American Oak

Variety: Chardonnay

Price: $26
Region: Virginia
Country: USA
Year: 2012

Description: Stainless steel fermentation followed by 9 months in 20% new and 80% neutral French oak. Aromas of apple and pear precede flavors of orchard fruits. A secondary malolactic fermentation lends to the wine's soft, buttery finish. 

The second Chardonnay in the Valerie Hill wine series, this 2012 wine was aged in new American oak barrels. It was sweet smelling on the nose, and definitely had the oaky-buttery flavor like the review mentions. I haven't been too receptive to this flavor profile in Chardonnays, but the butter in this one was very noticeable. I enjoyed this Chardonnay more than the Francis Coppola that I had for my wine dinner.

Note: The wine worksheet with description the owner gave me says this wine was aged in stainless steel and French oak, but when the owner presented this Chardonnay, he said it was aged in American oak. Either way, I enjoyed it. 

No comments:

Post a Comment